Woodbine United Methodist Church
Monday, July 24, 2017
Loving God, Serving Neighbor, Following Christ

 

The Stained Glass Windows at Woodbine

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The children and youth gave the beautiful window in the balcony. Before there was a Methodist Youth Fellowship, the youth organization was known as the Epworth League. This group filled money baskets with coins they had earned by baby-sitting and other methods to pay for this art glass.

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

Bishop Walter R. Lambuth

 

Bishop Walter R. Lambuth was the first pastor of Woodbine Methodist Episcopal Church South, 1875-1876.  He left Woodbine to experience being a junior pastor under the Rev. Kelley at McKendree, and he was also in love with Rev. Kelley’s daughter, Daisey.  They married in 1877.  Bishop Lambuth was born in Shanghai, China of missionary parents and always had aspirations to be a missionary himself.  He studied in the United States, including Vanderbilt.  He became a “Missionary Bishop” of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and his work was very influential in Japan, China and Africa.  He died September 26, 1921 and was laid to rest in the place of his birth.

 

 

 

James M. Smith

 

Captain Smith donated the bell for the first church building from a steamboat on which he served.  During construction of the second building, the bell was stolen.  A tower for the bell was to be constructed on the south end of the Church, but was never completed; thus the difference in the two sides of the Church.  Captain Smith’s daughter was married to G. P. Rose, the founder of Rose’s Dog Food Company.  They became the 81st and 82nd members of the Church on November 17, 1901.

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

Rev. J. W. Faires

 

James Wiley Faires was pastor of Woodbine 1912–1914.  His daughter, Mary, married Rev. Berry J. Duncan on June 24, 1913 in the basement of the Church (under construction).  This was the first wedding in the new structure.  His son, Lloyd, did most of the janitorial work and gave the Church its first coat of paint.

 

 

White

 

Robert H. White and his family became members in 1903.  He and Margaret E. had six sons and two daughters:  Alpheus N., Elzie C., Leslie, George, Cecil, Raleigh, Mary, and Mattie.  The window was placed in memory of Mr. & Mrs. White and two of their children:  Alpheus, (killed in World War II) and Elzie (killed on the railroad). Five generations of the White family have been members of Woodbine, and remain active members to this day.

 

 


 

 

 

                            

 

 

 

Dodds

Robert Henry & Sallie Hall Dodds moved to Davidson County about 1900.  Mr. Dodds was a blacksmith and had a shop near their home on Nolensville Pike.  They were parents of ten children.  Three died at a young age, and the remaining 7 became members of Woodbine.  The cost of the window was about $100 and was given in memory of Robert Henry, Sallie Hall and Vashti Dodds sometime after 1920.

 

 

Samuel L. Bryan

This window is in memory of Samuel L. Bryan who came to Woodbine with his wife, Artie, by transfer of membership on March 30, 1919.  Mr. Bryan died July 18, 1925.

 

 

Women of 1925 and Men of 1925

 

In 1925 the ladies challenged the men to place a stained glass window in the Sanctuary.  They accepted the challenge.  A window was dedicated for each, the Women of 1925 and the Men of 1925. 

 


 

 

 

 

 

Rochie M. Brien

 

Rochie M. Brien was born in Nashville in 1840.  She became a member of Woodbine by letter of transfer July 15, 1880 and remained a member until her death in 1927.   Her father, Judge John S. Brien, represented the Methodist Episcopal Church South in their suit against the Methodist Episcopal Church North.  He argued before the Supreme Court, opposing Daniel Webster, that the Methodist Publishing House should remain in the south.  He won his case.

 

 

 

William S. Morton

William Samuel Morton (1849-1924) was the son of Dr. William Morton and Margaret Ann Hagan of Nolensville, Tennessee.  He was orphaned at age 2 and raised by his grandparents on their farm at Thompson Lane and Nolensville Road.   He was a charter member of Woodbine and gave the mud sills of hand hewn cedar for the first building.  William S. Morton, Jr. was the first baby to be baptized in the new Church.

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Missionary Society No. 1 and No. 2 of 1925

 

These two windows stand together at the back of the Sanctuary.  The Missionary Societies were organized units of the Methodist Women.  Even though the Methodist Women’s groups have borne many names down through the years, their pledge has always been to prayer, service, fellowship and mission.